Diary / Justbobbi / Sep 26, 2022
Reset Recipe: Foodtrainer's Breggie Egg Salad
Written by: Lauren Slayton
If you’re like us, you frequently forget the convenience and tastiness of hard boiled eggs & periodically rediscover them. If you’re really like us, when you fall back in love with boiled eggs you want to make them even better.
We couldn’t resist an opportunity to sneak some veg into breakfast — aka Breggie. This is a great recipe to double or triple so you’re prepped for the week. Hard boiled eggs can last five days in the fridge. Add some more veggies/oil/avocado and this could also be a lunch!
Foodtrainers Breggie Egg Salad
- 2 cage free/pasture raised eggs
- Generous handful of micro greens or any salad green
- 1-2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 tsp ILA turmeric
- 1⁄2 tsp Wakaya ginger
- Olive oil to drizzle (we love Wonder Valley)
- 1 large mason jar
- Optional hot sauce, 1/3 avocado
- Bring a medium-sized pot of water to a gentle boil.
- Carefully submerge eggs, one by one, with a spoon.
- Turn heat down and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- While eggs are boiling (don’t skip this step if you want your eggs easy to peel), put a handful of ice with water, in a bowl, for an ice bath.
- While eggs are “chillin,” add turmeric & ginger to jar, add 2 cups of water in jar, cover the jar (very important) and shake to mix the spices with water.
- After they’ve simmered for 10-12 mins, carefully transfer eggs to ice bath with a spoon.
- Let sit five minutes.
- Bang eggs on a flat surface and carefully peel.
- Place each peeled egg in the spice water and let sit for at least 30 min – the longer they sit, the more they absorb the spices and the prettier they look.
- Refrigerate leftover eggs.
For Egg Salad:
- Plate microgreens and sliced radishes
- Slice two eggs in half.
- Drizzle with olive oil or plate with 1/3 avocado and season with salt and pepper. Hot sauce it up, if you’re feeling spicy today.
Lauren Slayton, MS RD is the founder of Foodtrainers and the author of the book The Little Book of Thin (Perigee 2014).